BANCF Mission Statement:
The Builders Association of North Central Florida represents the residential and commercial building industry, provides services for all members, and supports the freedom to operate as entrepreneurs in an open and competitive environment. BANCF is committed to maintaining the highest standards of quality, integrity, and professionalism within the building industry, while promoting the creation of desirable communities and the American Dream of home ownership.
History of BANCF
In 1955, the Gainesville Home Builders Association (now the Builders Association of North Central Florida) was founded by a group of building pioneers including Clark Butler, George Gaston, Fred Mason, Walter Stubbs, Harold Walker, and A.W. Fletcher. The first meetings were held in a small sales office in the 1100 block of University Ave., owned by several of the builders. Gainesville Home Builders Association (GHBA) became a place where an industry came together in unprecedented fashion.
Other builders joined them to nurture the association through the difficult years to follow, including builders Hugh Edwards, Woodrow Bratcher, Bill Ridgway, G.M. Davis, Coy Thomas and some of our first associate members V.Q. McCoy, Al Combs, Harry Edwards, Charles Denny, and Milton St. Peter. Although they struggled through the early years, these leaders managed to keep the association alive. Regretfully, many of them are no longer with us.
- In 1957, association members worked with the county to establish the building permitting and inspection department. One of our founding members, A.W. Fletcher, pulled the very first building permit in Alachua County on Oct. 1, 1957.
- In 1959, the association sponsored its first Parade of Homes in Skyline Heights. Since then, over 1300 homes in 130 neighborhoods have been featured in the Parade of Homes.
- In 1972, the association took a big step forward with the hiring of our first executive officer, and doubled membership by the end of 1973.
- In 1978, the association built its own office building under the direction of builder Tom Spain, which remains the association “home” today.
In 1985, the association set the stage for our increased participation and influence in the governmental and political arenas with the hiring of a full-time Director of Governmental Affairs.
In 1993, the association changed its name from Gainesville Home Builders Association to Gainesville Builders Association in recognition of a growing diversity in our membership. The Commercial Builders Council was formed that year and has grown to an active group of commercial builders, sub-contractors, and suppliers.
In 2002, the association's expanding membership base prompted a change to its new name, Builders Association of North Central Florida. Although the majority of the association's members are currently in Alachua County, the association also serves thegrowing counties of Levy, Gilchrist, Dixie, Lafayette, Madison, Hamilton, Suwannee, & Taylor.
In 2015, the Builders Association of North Central Florida celebrated its 60th Anniversary